Full Time / Posted August 24, 2021
POSITION OPENING: High School Math Teacher 2021-2022
REPORTS TO: Principal
Saint Martin de Porres High School is looking for an experienced Math Teacher to be part of an innovative urban college-prep high school experience for the 2021-2022 school year.
Saint Martin de Porres High School is part of the Cristo Rey Network of Catholic schools designed exclusively for students of modest means. Our competitive edge is our Corporate Work study program, which allows students to gain real world work experience while receiving a college preparatory education. Eighty percent of our students will be the first in their extended families to go to college. Our rigorous curriculum, which includes students working in a corporate environment, was designed specifically for our school by a committee of prestigious educational leaders. Saint Martin was founded in 2004, we are chartered by the state of Ohio and accredited through the Ohio Catholic Schools Accrediting Association. Our mission of College and Career Readiness is centered around five pillars: Work, Study, Serve, Lead, and Pray.
Teacher responsibilities at Saint Martin de Porres High School include but are not limited to:
• Teach in a modified block schedule of 50 minute classes, including 3 sections of senior statistics.
• Embrace the Saint Martin Mission, Vision and Guiding Principles as well as the Cristo Rey Network Standards of Mission Effectiveness.
• Value at student-centered approach to education.
• Engage with professional learning teams that promote and require collaboration, peer review, and multidisciplinary lesson planning.
• Develop lesson plans in accordance to the school’s innovative curriculum.
• Expected to turn in lesson plans weekly and unit plans quarterly.
• Model a work ethic characterized by diligence, persistence and dedication.
• Understand that the school is in the ongoing process of developing innovative policies in education. The teacher must be flexible in all matters involving teaching, school administration and program and curriculum development.
• Use informal and formal assessments to make adjustments to classroom teaching in order to support and track student learning.
• Accept the school’s mission and belief statements concerning student learning.
• Coordinate field trips for curricular and extracurricular activities.
• Act as advisor to approximately 15 assigned students.
• Communicate with parents/guardians.
• Participate in College Work Study Program events as assigned.
• Participate in at least 4 Admissions related assignments.
• Participate in the development of the school’s teaching policies, procedures and methodologies.
A candidate for a teaching position at Saint Martin de Porres High School should have proven experience successfully teaching under their certificate:
• Able and willing to work an extended day. Required hours are 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. Faculty and staff typically work 55-60 hours in a week including planning and extra-curricular activities.
• Preferably, has successful experience working with students in an urban or inner-city setting.
• Has successful classroom experience in a non-traditional classroom setting.
• Must be able to teach in an integrated and thematic grade level structure.
• Must be able to work with students at all level of learning within the classroom setting.
• Is comfortable in an educational setting that has a philosophy founded in a professional collaborative effort, peer review, and multidisciplinary lesson planning.
• Has an understanding of the high school reform movement.
• Has an understanding that the school is young and developing landmark policies in education. The new teacher must be prepared to be flexible in all matters involving teaching, school administration and program and curriculum development.
• Must be able to teach students successfully using and creating differentiated lesson planning and teaching techniques. Classes are not adjusted for “student tracking”.
• Must be capable of communicating the importance of and ability to build literacy and numeracy into their subject area.
• Must be comfortable with sharing teaching experiences with colleagues.
• Must be able to use informal and formal assessments to make adjustments to classroom teaching in order to support student learning.
• Must be comfortable with and willing to accept the existing technology of the school and expected future significant enhancements; this includes Smartboards, wireless laptop technology, grading programs and other associated hardware and software. This technology must be a significant part of the daily lesson structure.
• Ohio Licensure: Preferred Mathematics and Integrated Mathematics (9-12)
• Master’s Degree preferred; however, a Bachelor’s degree with appropriate experience will also be considered.
• A teacher who is inquiry minded and has an awareness of 21st century skills and approaches to mathematics education.
• 3+ teaching years in an urban environment preferred.
• Able to work with school technology (use of academic software, Microsoft Office, etc.)
• Effective communicator both orally and in writing
• Outgoing personality
• Well organized
• Outcomes driven
• Attention to details
1. Understands and completely embraces the Saint Martin de Porres High School mission and the Cristo Rey Network's Eleven Standards for Mission Effectiveness.
2. Believes that all learning should be set in meaningful context and related to real world experiences.
3. Utilizes pedagogical approaches that include but are not limited to Habits of the mind, Socratic questioning, adult and peer coaching, adult and peer presentations, problem-based learning, constructionist approach, inquiry methods, appreciative inquiry methods, and other forms of active learning.
4. Person of faith but not necessarily Catholic.
5. Appreciates that the school is driven by its Catholicity which focuses on the highest level of ethical, moral and social behavior of its students, staff and volunteers.
6. Able and willing to do what it takes to get the job done even if it is not directly related to your job description.
7. Strong sense of being a team player.
• Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Company Paid Life and Long Term Disability insurance
• 401(k) with company match
• Internal On-going Professional Development
• Planning Day
• Eligibility for Student Loan Forgiveness
Send cover letter and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Saint Martin de Porres High School encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission.
Saint Martin de Porres High School is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.